Sunday, September 14, 2008


A Thousand Splendid Suns



I waited a long time for this book to be published in the mass market form (I generally don't believe in buying hardcovers, unless it's an irresistably gorgeous cover) so when I finally saw it at Borders, I pounced on the opportunity and pretty much devoured the book over two or so days. Though not as cry-worthy as The Kite Runner, Hosseini still managed to paint vivid images and evoke strong emotions. This is especially considering I tend to have soft spots for any book with female protagonists.

It is a simple story that weaves the personal stories of Mariam and Laila with the tumults of Afghanistan. You can't help but develop compassion and empathy for these women, that is the efficacy of Hosseini's text. Despite the sombre environment, there is a constant optimism that permeates. This is truly deserving of the label Modern Literature, transcending Fiction. Pick this up if you've forgotten how powerful words can be. Pick this up if you're going to be lying idle in the sun. Pick this up if you want to just kick back and enjoy a good read. I can assure you it will take great efforts to put this beautiful work down.

Posted by selina at 1:13 am

0 Comments:

Post a Comment